TN Visa Job Interview Mistakes to Avoid
How to Get a Job with the TN Visa
If you have not yet secured a job offer by an employer willing to hire you with a TN Visa, the following information will help you successfully deal with common TN Visa concerns that might come up in a job interview. Most employers are either averse to hiring foreign nationals or are not educated of the requirements to hire a foreign national.
Be Able to Answer Your Employer’s TN Visa Questions
An important fact that most people do not know is that when you can clearly communicate the TN Visa process and address your employer’s concerns, they can then hire you for your skills and not deny you because of their fear about getting an immigration visa.
Most employers do not understand how quick and easy the TN Visa is to obtain. They think it is similar to the lengthy and expensive H1-B Visa application. This causes them to immediately disqualify you from the job.
However, you can avoid this issue if you know how to answer their questions and explain how you can complete the TN Visa Application yourself with no cost to them. This will get their attention and now you will have a chance to get the job.
You may now be wondering, “How do I do the TN Visa application myself?” Don’t worry, we will show you how.Download the TN Visa Expert Application Kit. It shows you how to do this easily. You get all the TN Visa information, step-by-step instructions to create the TN Visa Application, TN Visa sample letters, how to obtain visas for your dependents and it prepares you for the border interview so you are not denied.
What to Say in the First Interview ?
Your first objective is to obtain an interview so you can prove to the employer that you are the most qualified and would be an enormous asset to the company.
Review the points below to help you obtain a first interview:
- You do not need to state your Citizenship in your resume.
- If possible, wait to bring up your Citizenship and immigration visa needs until after your first successful job interview. Use the first interview to show your skills and your value.
- If required, be prepared to discuss your Citizenship and immigration visa needs in the first interview.
- Discuss the TN Visa once you have read the TN Visa Expert Application Kit, so you can answer your employer’s questions.
Your first interview is for you to show your future employer how you will be an asset to their company and the best person for the job. Once you’ve established this, you will want to discuss your immigration visa needs. This may occur in the first interview or a follow-up interview. The key to your success is to be prepared about discussing your immigration visa needs.
Know Your Facts
Being knowledgeable about the TN Visa is of utmost importance. When you can confidently and easily explain the TN Visa Application process addressing any questions and concerns your potential employer might have, they will be able to make a decision irrespective of you being a foreign national requiring an immigration visa.
While you are looking for a job, leveraging the knowledge and expertise of a recruiter can be invaluable. When you can prove to recruiters you are knowledgeable of the TN Visa and serious about finding a NAFTA job, the recruiters will be more motivated to quickly find a job for you.
Questions an Employer may ask related to Your TN Visa
Many employers do not understand the TN Visa process and if you cannot answer their TN Visa interview questions, you may not get the job. These are the most common work visa interview questions an employer will ask you:
- The TN Visa will require a lawyer, we do not want to hire a lawyer.
- How much does the TN Visa cost?
- How long will it take to obtain the TN Visa? We do not want to wait for months while the application is pending.
- What do we need to do for the TN Visa Application? We’ve never applied for a TN Visa before.
- How is this different than an H1-B visa application?
- What tax implications do we have when we hire you on a TN Visa?
- Are you able to work as a W2 employee with a TN Visa?
- We will require a Social Security Number (SSN) to be able to hire you, will you be able to provide this to us?
- The job is a long term position, will that be a problem for you since the TN Visa is only for 3 years.
These are questions your employer may ask you. Be able to answer these questions. If you are not sure how to answer them, download the TN Visa Expert Kit – Platinum Edition and you will find the answer in Chapter 1.
TN Interview Preparation and Etiquette
In addition to the job interview, you will also need to prepare for the TN Visa interview at the border in front of the Immigration Officer. This is a very different type of interview but just as important as the job interview.
If you fail this work visa interview, you will not receive your TN visa, so it is very important to be prepared. Making a good impression, how you speak, how you behave and how you dress will play an important part in the Officer’s decision of whether to approve you or deny your TN Visa request.
How you look and behave is very important. Imagine if the Officer saw a man wearing ripped jeans, a tank top, not shaven, unkempt hair and a bandana around his head with a toothpick sticking out of his mouth vs the same man wearing casual dress pants a nice long sleeved shirt, well shaven and combed hair. What would be the initial impression of these two scenarios? Who would you believe is a Professional working at a nice paying job?
First appearances are very important. It is how we, humans, work. We do it subconsciously and form opinions when we first see someone. In addition, the TN Visa is a work visa for Professionals, so you want to show you are a Professional by having the correct attire and etiquette at the TN interview.
You can do this by:
- Smiling and being friendly
- Dress in Business casual attire. For women pants or a dress with a nice top. For mean, casual pants and a shirt.
- Make eye contact and listen to the Officer’s questions.
- Answer the Officer’s questions directly and succintly. Speak clearly.
- Do not raise your voice or get angry.
- Do not lie, be honest when answering questions.
- If you do not understand a question, politely state, “Sorry, I did not understand the question, can you please explain it again. Thank you”.
VERY IMPORTANT: Do not interrupt the Officer when he is speaking. Wait till he is done, then speak.
Be prepared for the TN Visa interview. This will take place at the land border crossing or the airport when you enter the US (or Pre-clearance centers at major international Canadian airports).
Download the TN Visa Interview Kit to obtain all the questions asked at the interview and additional border preparation steps and tips you should follow before the interview.