TN Visa – Frequently Asked Question
How do I get my Social Security Number? Do I need to get it before obtaining the TN Visa?
You obtain your Social Security after you receive your TN Visa. Once you have your TN Visa go to the nearest Social Security Office and submit your forms. You can find the nearest SSO office here.
How to apply for your Social Security Number
1. Download and complete the Social Security Application Form. (Form SS-5)
2. Gather Supporting Documents (Passport, TN Visa, drivers license). Read more about the documents required.
3. Mail or submit your documents to the nearest SSO office.
Note: You can start working without an SSO number, since you have your TN as proof that you are authorized to work. An employer can pay you without this number or you can wait to have them pay you once your number arrives.
After Your TN Visa Expires, Lost Your TN Visa Job, Switch Jobs
Your Social Security Number is still valid after your TN expires, your job ends or you switch jobs. If you found another TN Visa job, you would use the same Social Security Number. This number belongs to you. If you use it without a valid TN Visa, then you are working illegally which you should not do.
Submitted by: Lauren G. of Niagra Falls, Ontario, Canada
More TN Visa Application Questions:
- Is It Possible To Enter The US If Your TN Visa Is Denied? – TN Visa Expert
- TN Visa Grace Period Information – TN Visa Expert
- What is USMCA or the New NAFTA 2.0 and what are the USMCA differences? – TN Visa Expert
- What is the effective date of the USMCA? Can it still fail? – TN Visa Expert
- Software Engineering Jobs and TN Visa Issues – TN Visa Expert
- How to Renew Your TN Visa with Coronavirus restrictions? – TN Visa Expert
- Are there still TN Visa Jobs due to Coronavirus? – TN Visa Expert
- Have You Apply for a New TN Visa if Existing One Has Not Expired? – TN Visa Expert
- What to Do If TN Visa Is Denied?
- TN Visa Salary Requirements | How To Apply For a TN Visa?