What is a TN Visa? TN Visa Overview
Under NAFTA, the TN Visa, or TN-1 Visa, enables the following people to work up to three years at a time:
- Canadians citizens to work in the U.S.
- American citizens to work in Canada
- Mexican citizens to work in the U.S.
The TN Visa Expert Kit can be used in all three of the above scenarios.
Advantages of The TN Visa
Main advantages of the TN Visa over other U.S. Immigration visas:
- Can be obtained quickly
- Can be obtained at the border and no petition to U.S. Immigration is required (for Canadians)
- No annual limits on the number of TN Visas issued (H-1B has limits)
- Very beneficial for employers who want to hire someone quickly
- Can be renewed indefinitely
- Valid for upto 3 years (new ruling effective Oct 16, 2008)
TN Visa Jobs
You can apply for a TN Visa once you have a job offer. If you do not have a job offer, the TN Visa Expert Kit can help you understand which occupations qualify under the NAFTA agreement and give you tricks and tips for applying for jobs. Being familiar with the TN Visa application process will help you confidently explain to potential employers how the TN Visa works and answer any questions or concerns they might have. When an employer can see how informed and confident you are, they will be more inclined to consider hiring you, making the process quicker and easier.
TN Visa Renewal Limit
The TN Visa is a three-year visa and has no renewal limits. You can receive a TN Visa extension each year for an indefinite number of times. However, the requirement of temporary stay must be proven each time the TN Visa is renewed.
Dependents Of The TN Visa Holder (TD VISA)
Spouses and unmarried children of the TN Visa holder will be admitted into the U.S. under a TD (Free Trade Dependent) status. Proof of relationship must be provided. Spouses and children cannot work while in the U.S. under the TD status.
The TN Visa Expert Kit will inform you how to easily and successfully obtain the TD Visa for your dependents.
Disadvantages Of The TN Visa
Main disadvantages of the TN Visa over other U.S. Immigration visas:
- Valid only for certain occupations
- Not a dual intent visa; therefore, it may be problematic to apply for permanent residence
- Mexicans must obtain a visa application at a U.S. Consulate prior to entry into the U.S.
The TN Visa Expert Kit will have you understand all the details of how to create a successful TN Visa Application.