Will I have a problem with my TN Visa if I apply as a Software Engineer?
The Engineering title is used by Immigration Officers as the traditional engineers (mechanical, electrical, etc). This can cause TN Visa applications potential issues and you should verify you meet the requirements for use of this title.
If you decide to use the term “Engineer” in your application, you will require additional supporting documents to show the Immigration Officer you meet their requirements.
Software Engineer, Computer Engineering, Engineering Technologist are sample job titles that should be used with care when applying for your TN Visa. This does not mean you should not use this title, just use it with care and be prepared.
This is explained in more detail in the TN Visa Expert Kit – Platinum Edition.
Read the Step by Step instructions and the Appendix of TN Visa considerations for Special Job Titles for NAFTA.
Move with care and do not try to be hasty. NAFTA has certain requirements, ensure you both meet them each time you engage with a new US client.
Consider downloading the TN Visa Expert Kit to create your Application correctly.
Submitted by: Jonathan Walters of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
More TN Visa Application Questions related to the topic TN Visa Requirements for Engineers
- Does my offer letter need an original signature for my TN Visa application?
- What is the effective date of the USMCA? Can it still fail?
- Software Engineering Jobs and TN Visa Issues
- How to Renew Your TN Visa with Coronavirus restrictions?
- Are there still TN Visa Jobs due to Coronavirus?
- Is It Possible To Enter The US If Your TN Visa Is Denied?
- TN Visa Grace Period Information
- What is USMCA or the New NAFTA 2.0 and what are the USMCA differences?
- I have a TN Visa, can I qualify for the Green card?
- How To Prepare The TN Visa Application Letter?