Can a TN Visa holder be an independent contractor or must they be an employee?
Under a TN Visa you maybe able to work on a 1099 (independent contractor) but it should be done with care. You can do it as long as you operate as yourself using your SSN number and US Immigration can see that you are employed by that company. Opening your own corporation and doing a TN through this business may not be considered valid and can raise concerns.
Your Next Step: Download the TN Visa Expert Kit – Platinum Edition to get the information about getting a TN Visa for independent contractors.
Submitted by: Lee P. of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
More Do I Qualify for a TN Visa Questions:
- Do I Need A Credential Evaluation If I Have PhD degree from Canada?
- I am married to my husband who has TN status and works
- Qualification for Computer System Analyst for the TN NAFTA Visa?
- When You Should Have a TN Visa?
- TN1 Visa Requirements and Application
- Is a Need for Visa Screen if You Have Studied in the US?
- Can You Qualify For TN Visa If You Have a Civil Union?
- Will TN Visa Be Approved If You Have a Foreign Degree?
- Can TN Visa Be Denied If I Have a Boyfriend in the US?
- What Professions Qualify for TN Visa