TN Visa – Frequently Asked Question
I am on a TN Visa and I just lost my job. What options do I have?
As of January 17, 2017 there is good news for TN Applicants.
Prior to this time, if you lost your job (quit, fired or laid off) your TN Visa was no longer valid and you must leave the U.S.
As of January 17, 2017 a new ruling has been approved to allow 60 days grace period for a TN applicant lost their job and there is still sufficient time on their TN status period or if your TN period has ended and the job is not being renewed, the TN applicant has 10 days grace period.
More information can be found in the TN Visa Kit – Platinum Edition.
You are able to change your status to a B1 visitor status toto obtain more time in the U.S. This will allow you so that you can pack your belongings and close your financial affairs. Now, if during that time you find another job – then you can reapply for a new TN Visa.
Another option is if you have a US boyfriend or girlfriend. You may be able to stay in the U.S. if getting a simple civil marriage is an option. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further.
Submitted by: Joshua G. of Miami, Florida
More TN Visa Application Questions:
- Does my offer letter need an original signature for my TN Visa application?
- TN Visa Grace Period Information – TN Visa Expert
- What is USMCA or the New NAFTA 2.0 and what are the USMCA differences? – TN Visa Expert
- What is the effective date of the USMCA? Can it still fail? – TN Visa Expert
- Software Engineering Jobs and TN Visa Issues – TN Visa Expert
- How to Renew Your TN Visa with Coronavirus restrictions? – TN Visa Expert
- Are there still TN Visa Jobs due to Coronavirus? – TN Visa Expert
- Is It Possible To Enter The US If Your TN Visa Is Denied? – TN Visa Expert
- I have a TN Visa, can I qualify for the Green card?
- How To Prepare The TN Visa Application Letter? – TN Visa Expert