I have been on a TN Visa working as a W2 employee. Now i have a chance to work at another company as a 1099 contractor. Can I obtain the TN Visa on a 1099?
Yes, but the 1099 is a little tricky since its for contractors and freelancers. You can do it as long as you operate as yourself using your SSN number and US Immigration can see that you are employed by that company. Your TN Letter will state that this company is employing you, which meets the NAFTA requirements. Opening your own corporation and doing a TN through this business may not be considered valid and can raise concerns.
Your Next Step: Download the TN Visa Expert Kit – Platinum Edition. You will get all information about the peculiarities of getting a TN Visa for contractors.
Submitted by: Jeff C. of Kamploops, B.C., Canada
51 questions TN applicants say they wish they knew about before applying (Learn #51 very well) => Click here
More Do I Qualify for a TN Visa Questions:
- I am married to my husband who has TN status and works
- Do I Need A Credential Evaluation If I Have PhD degree from Canada?
- Qualification for Computer System Analyst for the TN NAFTA Visa?
- When You Should Have a TN Visa?
- Will TN Visa Be Approved If You Have a Foreign Degree?
- Can TN Visa Be Denied If I Have a Boyfriend in the US?
- TN1 Visa Requirements and Application
- Is a Need for Visa Screen if You Have Studied in the US?
- Can You Qualify For TN Visa If You Have a Civil Union?
- What Professions Qualify for TN Visa