TN Visa – Frequently Asked Question
How can I renew my TN Visa due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
The Coronavirus situation is affecting new TN Visa applications as well as TN renewals, here is what you can do.
Due to the increase in Coronavirus cases being found by the Canadian, US and Mexican government, they are implementing strong measures related to immigration visa processing, border crossing and airport restrictions and flight cancellations.
TN Visa Renewal / Extension of Status for Canadians
- Canadians can file their TN Visa renewal by mail by submitting USCIS Form I-129.
- Under normal circumstances, this was taking approximately 3-4 months to be approved, with the Coronavirus situation, be prepared for this to take longer.
- Applications can be filed up to six months in advance, so file earlier!
- Once filed prior to your TN Visa / I-94 expiration date, the applicant can continue to work past their expiration date while USCIS is processing the application.
- You will need to submit a complete TN Visa Application in addition to the I-129 Form.
- All “non-essential” travel is restricted.
- TN Visa applications are considered essential travel. This is good news.
- With the new Mar 21, 2020 essential travel restrictions, TN Visa applicants were not sure if they could cross the border. We have
- Though Work travel is considered essential, renewing by mail is a very good option. You avoid travel, you avoid possibly getting infected as well as avoiding a denial.
- Canadians can attempt to submit their application at airports or border crossing but do so with care.
- We have TN Visa Expert customers who have obtained their TN Visa at the border during the first week of April. This is great news!
TN Visa Renewal / Extension of Status for Mexicans
The Only Option (for now)
- As of Mar 18, 2020, US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico are not processing immigration visas including TN Visa applications.
- Mexicans can file their TN Visa renewal by mail by submitting USCIS Form I-129.
- See additional notes above under “Safest Option” as these also apply to Mexicans.
- Download the TN Visa Expert Kit – Platinum Edition to help you complete the TN Visa application and I-129 Form details to avoid mistakes and problems.
- You can read more about the TN Visa Renewal by Mail process.
Submitted by: Rob Lewis of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
More TN Visa Application Questions:
- Is It Possible To Enter The US If Your TN Visa Is Denied? – TN Visa Expert
- TN Visa Grace Period Information – TN Visa Expert
- What is USMCA or the New NAFTA 2.0 and what are the USMCA differences? – TN Visa Expert
- What is the effective date of the USMCA? Can it still fail? – TN Visa Expert
- Software Engineering Jobs and TN Visa Issues – TN Visa Expert
- How to Renew Your TN Visa with Coronavirus restrictions? – TN Visa Expert
- Are there still TN Visa Jobs due to Coronavirus? – TN Visa Expert
- How To Prepare The TN Visa Application Letter? – TN Visa Expert
- Social Security Number TN Visa – TN Visa Expert
- Have You Apply for a New TN Visa if Existing One Has Not Expired? – TN Visa Expert